Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sun Still Shines on the Raincity Grill












The Raincity Grill is my favorite Vancouver restaurant.  Like Chez Panisse in Berkeley, Ca., it uses the finest locally sourced ingredients.  There is a view of English Bay.  Service is attentive without ever being heavy handed or obsequious.  By Vancouver standards, the prices are reasonable, particularly if you eat early and request to see the early bird menu.  Three courses are 30 CAD, add another 20 for wine pairings.  A nice option with two people, is to order the early bird and the standard prix fixed menu at 49 CAD (28 more for wine parings).  For instance my partner wanted the grilled caesar salad which was on both menus and I wanted the scallops which was only on the 49 menu.  I wanted the braised lamb which was on both, but my partner wanted the halibut from the 49.  We saved 19 and each got exactly what we wanted. In general, the English Bay side of Vancouver seems funkier and more reasonable than downtown and Coal Harbor.

The braised lamb topped with caramelized onions was a contrast in tastes and textures.  It makes my, soon to be posted, 5 favorite lamb dishes list.  It included a wonderful garnish of veal sweatbreads.  The local scallops were perfectly prepared.

The only change from my last visit to Vancouver, is recognition of the cocktail craze sweeping the city.  I had a delicious Manhattan made with a Canadian rye, and my partner had a tasty Sangria punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment