Friday, May 13, 2016

Is Trump Worse than Castro?

The question is slightly tongue in cheek.  After all, Trump has only buried opponents with frivolous law suits, and imprisoned them with insults and lies.  But after 4 weeks in Cuba,  there are entries on the other side of the ledger.

Although Fidel is on a number of pro-revolution signs, I expected statues of him in every square.  I was told there is one, only one, of him somewhere in the country, but I never saw it.  Much to my surprise I saw little indication that he had cultivated a cult of personality.  Fidel whatever the flaws in his philosophy, is a true believer.  During my travels I twice thought I saw smoke, and noticed an odd smell.  No danger, buildings are sprayed regularly by the government for mosquitoes.  Literacy hovers at 99.7% way above that of America.  Free health care is administered by doctors good enough, that Cuba loans them to other Latin American countries.

Cuba lacks natural resources, and has been crippled by the American embargo which also cuts the county off from the world banking system.  The low wages are not because the Castro brothers have high bank balances.  The Castro brothers appear to genuinely care about the people, rather than personal aggrandizement.

Trump, not so much.  He opposes the minimum wage and is in a labor battle in Las Vegas with the most under handed tactics in decades.  Unlike Castro, Trump puts his name on everything he touches.  His candidacy is about himself rather than a philosophy of governance.   At campaign rallies he continues to shamelessly promote himself and his business.   His victory parties at his Mar-A-Largo club, are invitation only, excluding the riff raft who so fervently support him.  


2 comments:

  1. I really liked this article and other articles you've authored.

    Would you be OK if I shared one of your articles with the WriterBeat.com community? I can provide more information about Writer Beat or answer any question, but better than anything I can say in words, please take a look at the site.

    If yes, just give me an "OK" and I'll handle the rest (there is no fee).

    Autumn
    AutumnCote@WriterBeat.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest. I sent you an email. Please feel free to share this, or any other of my articles.

      Delete